Python for CGI scripting

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 04:04:08 EDT 2002

Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> wrote in
news:evatkuo2jnnl281vvcvhbph1c9hkp6laro at 4ax.com:

>>Doing it this way lets you keep the Python process completely separate
>>from the Apache server (even to run it on a separate machine if you
>>wish) and gives you freedom to run multiple python processes with
>>simple load balancing if that should become necessary.
>
> Are you trying to scare me?

No, just spoil you for choice. :-)

Seriously though, it depends on just how high traffic you envisage, and
while YAGNI is the best principle it also helps to avoid boxing yourself
into a corner unnecessarily. I have been looking a bit at using ZServer
separate from Zope as I think that gives a very nice base for doing web
applications. CherryPy, mentioned in another post is a similar idea,
although I have no direct experience of it.

If you simply run CGI scripts in a long running process, do you want to
allow communication between separate scripts? What about holding session
state, or sharing database connections? Maybe these things are important to
you, maybe not.