Classes are not members of their respective modules??

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Aug 20 13:29:42 EDT 2002

There are tricks modules can play, depending on what module you're
using, it may not actually be what you think it is.  Some modules use
lazy importing to load heavy class defn's only when needed, others may
define classes using functions which only create the class object when a
method or function is called, yet others may use objects which are very
class-like, but which are not in fact classes (though that doesn't seem
to be the problem here).  Alternately, are you maybe passing the wrong
module (for instance, an old version with just the functions)?

assert module.className == classObject, "You can't get to it normally,
possibly using the wrong module object"

assert type(module) == types.ModuleType, "It's not a regular module
object, it's a stand-in doing weird things"

BTW, would help in debugging if we knew what the module is (e.g. is it
one of the mx.* or wx.* modules, or a standard library module, a
third-party module for which you have source, or a module you created
yourself?

Good luck,
Mike

--