pythonic way to free resources

Chirayu thephoenix235 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 14 10:50:32 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm from the C++ world. I'm used to writing code like this.

// some block of code - could be try/catch, func body, loop body, etc
{
     ifstream inp (inFIle, ios::read | ios::binary)
     ofstream out (outFIle, ios::write | ios::binary)
     use inp and out
}

and be safe in the knowledge that if there were any any exceptions, there
is no resource leak. For instance, if the output file cud'nt be opened,
then the input file would be closed. if there was some error after both
files were opened but in this block (assuming it was uncaught) - then both
files will be closed.

What is the python idiom to do something like this?

Regards,
Chirayu.