20 Stages of Perl to Python Conversion

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Aug 16 09:17:40 EDT 2002

[Carl Banks]

> I posted this awhile ago in another newsgroup when a minor religious
> flame war broke out.  I thought yuns might get a smile out of it.  Or
> maybe not.  Have fun.

Thanks, it was a pleasurable read! :-)

A few stages were missing about speed comparisons.  In my case, I did many
benchmarks and had many hesitations before I consider the loss of speed
a good trade after all, and before I later learn to write more speedy Python.

However, believe it or not, the initial and strong selling point of Python
for me has been the friendliness and intelligence of the members of the
Python mailing list.  The perception of these qualities was raised out of
proportion by the effect of the haughty and unbearable attitudes of many
tenors of the Perl gang, quickly adopted by riots of teenagers thinking
they know how to program because they can vomit a few lines of random code.

Larry Wall's own attitude is impeccable, but he gets completely drawn
under his troops.  For quite a long time now, his own spirit is just not
spreading through anymore.  A fairly sad end for a very good guy!