TypeError: cannot create weak reference to 'builtin_function_or_method' object

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Sat Aug 31 15:10:13 EDT 2002

The error listed has been popping up everywhere.  I, somehow?, made it so
that it doesn't error on the previous lines.  Now I get the same error in
the following code under different conditions.  Another strange artifact is
that if I uncomment my print lines I don't get the error.  Most of the
values in the self.values list are 'None' as I'm creating a new object.

class ...:
        def setInterfaceFromObject(self,obj = None):
                if not isinstance(obj,I_Stone):
                        self.stone = I_Stone()

                brand = self.stone.get_brand()
                brand_name = ''
                if brand != None:
                        brand_name = brand.get_name()

                self.values = [
                        [self.stone.get_blemishes(), BLEMISHES_LIST],
                        [brand_name,self.brand_dict.keys()],
                        [self.stone.get_brilliancy(), BRILLIANCY_LIST],
                        [self.stone.get_certificate(), CERTIFICATE_LIST],
                        self.stone.get_certificate_num(),
                        [self.stone.get_clarity(), CLARITY_LIST],
                        [self.stone.get_color(),COLOR_LIST],
                        self.stone.get_depth(),
                        [self.stone.get_finish(), FINISH_LIST],
                        [self.stone.get_fluorescence(), FLUORESCENCE_LIST],
                        self.stone.get_height(),
                        self.stone.get_laser_inscription(),
                        self.stone.get_len(),
                        [self.stone.get_luster(), LUSTER_LIST],
                        [self.stone.get_proportions(),PROPORTIONS_LIST],
                        self.stone.get_quantity(),
                        self.stone.get_scene(),
                        [self.stone.get_shape_cut(),SHAPE_CUT_LIST],
                        [self.stone.get_stone_type(),STONE_TYPE_LIST],
                        [self.stone.get_symmetry(),SYMMETRY_LIST],
                        self.stone.get_weight(),
                        self.stone.get_weight_from(),
                        self.stone.get_weight_to(),
                        self.stone.get_width()
                        ]

                if len(self.values) != len(self.members):
                        print "wrong lengths!!!!"
                        return

                # print self.values
                # print self.members
                for i in range(len(self.values)):
                        self.Set(self.members[i],self.values[i])
                return

Traceback is as follows:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<basepath>/gem/src/gui/WatchEditInterfaceImpl.py", line 159, in
addStone
    self.sei.setInterfaceFromObject(stone)
  File "<basepath>/src/gui/StoneEditInterfaceImpl.py", line 154, in
setInterfaceFromObject
    for i in range(len(self.values)):
TypeError: cannot create weak reference to 'builtin_function_or_method'
object

>Kaleb Pederson wrote:
>> I have some code as follows:

>> print type(None) != types.StringType
>>
>> Which results in:
>> TypeError: cannot create weak reference to 'builtin_function_or_method'
>> object
>
>strange.  in fact, doubly strange because i don't get the meaning of
>the above line.

I was simply printing out the truth value of the line.