Best IDE for Rapid GUI dev

Alan James Salmoni salmonia.nospam.please at cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 09:06:39 EDT 2002

Depends what you want to do really Matt.

Personally (takes a deep breath) I use Emacs. There is syntax
highlighting, and to run a script just press <ctrl>-c twice. If there is
a bug in a wxPython program, you can close the program down, and the
error ouput is shown in a new window. I used it for my own wxPython
project (salstat.sunsite.dk) and was surprised how good it was.

There is also a special Vim script to do the same thing with Vim, but
it's hidden on the web. Vim is probably my favourite editor, but I can't
get to the error output as easily as Emacs (but then I could be doing
something wrong).

If you prefer a visual RAD type thingie, then as previous posters
suggested, try Boa Constructor, Pythoncard, both are free. If you can
bare giving up wxPython (the thought makes me shudder!), there is also
BlackAdder by the Kompany which is a visual IDE. There are a few others,
but they can be found by Googling or going to the Python website.

Or of course, you can write in IDLE, and open up a console window to run
the program ;) That way you get all the control you need, but lots of
people hate this!

Best of luck!

Alan.