optimization question

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 12 10:42:15 EDT 2002

Andrew Koenig <ark at research.att.com> writes:

> I'd like to take a step back for a moment.  I originally asked a
> simple question:

Which did get answered in amongst all the noise, yes?

> If I write an expression of the form s[i:j] == x, can I count on the
> implementation optimizing it by avoiding a copy of s[i:j], so that I
> can be assured of not having to think about finding more efficient
> alternatives?

If you have a question that contains the phrase "can I count on the
implementation optimizing ..." then the answer is almost certainly
"no".

Cheers,
M.

--
  ... so the notion that it is meaningful to pass pointers to memory
  objects into which any random function may write random values