Windows Infrared Port Programming (using USPP)

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 29 13:51:16 EDT 2002

Scott Brady Drummonds fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 28
August 2002 06:05 pm:

> 2)  I do *not* know that the device is at COM2.  The Windows device
manager
> does report that it is using IO 2f8x0-2ffx0 and IRQ 3, which is the
same as
> COM2.  So, I guess it makes sense that I should address it as COM2
using
> USPP.  But, its not working...

        I presume a Windows system.

        Under the Control Panel you should find a tool for "Infrared"; open
it, pick the "Options" tab.

        My laptop shows: enable infrared communication on /COM2/ (drop-down)
followed by: Providing application support on COM4 and LPT3

        I believe this indicates that I would use COM4 in a program, the OS
takes the COM4 data and handles the conversion to Infrared protocol
with the IR port being a physical COM2 for interrupt purposes.