Gratitude due to Red Hat? More work for the PBF?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Tue Aug 20 23:49:51 EDT 2002

Quoth grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards):
| In article <Iyn89.11545$aC5.4453 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>, Steve Holden wrote:
|> I'm a little hesitant to say this, but today (while, of all
|> things, putting a sales proposal together) I realised that my
|> attitude to the "Red Hat comes with 1.5.2" question has now
|> altered. When considering a hosting environment I am happy to
|> *exclude* any company who can only offer 1.5.2,
|
| I'm not sure what this has to do with RH.  RedHat has offered
| Python 2.1 for quite a while now.  It's not what you get if you
| just run the command "python", but it's available as "python2".

Right - Redhat made their mistake not when they started shipping
Python, but when they started using it themselves without taking
language change into account.

It's trivial to make a port of Python 2.1 available, whether it
comes in the OS install or not (NetBSD doesn't install with
Python 2.1, but that's how it works, you install the basic OS
and get what else you need from ports.)  Evidently the hard
part is to do this while actually writing and maintaining
Python code.  The Python user's worst enemy is another Python
user.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com