ANN: New PEP Format: reStructuredText

David Goodger goodger at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Aug 31 18:51:13 EDT 2002

Thanks, David, for your spot-on rebuttal.  I think what people have to
remember is that a range of markup languages is a *good* thing.  I've worked
intensively with SGML/XML in the past, but I find it almost unreadable.  XML
is still useful to me; Docutils uses XML internally, and produces various
forms of XML output, including HTML (XHTML actually).  But I prefer not to
read or write it directly.  Other people live and breathe XML.  Different
strokes for different folks.  Speaking of which...

David Mertz wrote:
> It imposes an extra burden on PEP writers, but that's not so bad.

Just to be clear on this (it's bitten me before): the "extra burden on PEP
writers" is purely voluntary, optional rather than mandatory.  The old PEP
format remains valid; reStructuredText is merely an alternative.  The choice
is up to the author.

--
David Goodger  <goodger at users.sourceforge.net>  Open-source projects:
  - Python Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/