Python 2.2.1 C API - Error Handling

cseymour at thrush.eos.ubc.ca cseymour at thrush.eos.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 19 19:03:14 EDT 2002

Hi,

We have some extension modules that worked with Python 2.1, but now
that we use Python 2.2.1 they crash whenever a PyErr is thrown.

We're using Boost (couldn't get any help from their mailing list),
with the usual Boost module setup, where there's a try for the module
builder stuff, and a catch afterwards which runs
Boost's handle_exception() function, which causes Python errors. In
Python 2.1, whenever we throw an error, it is caught by this "catch(...)"
clause, and an error is raised inside Python. In
Python 2.2.1, the catch seems to be completely skipped and we get a seg
fault. I have seen this same behaviour in multiple extension modules.

Thanks for any help :)