Equivalent in Python?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Apr 29 23:37:21 EDT 2002

In article <f7jz8.18268$Wd2.881746 at wagner.videotron.net>,
Vincent Foley  <vinfoley at iquebec.com> wrote:

>What's the Python equivalient of Perl's "a"++; ?

There isn't any direct equivalent.  Python strings don't have any kind
of increment magic associated with them, but you could create a class
that worked like this:

    s = AutoIncrementString('a')
    s.increment()                   # or even s.inc()

However, if you designed it do this:

    s = AutoIncrementString('a')
    s += 1

you'd get harsh comments from the vast majority of Python programmers.
Bad juju, mixing strings and numbers without explicit conversion.

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ