PEP 285: Adding a bool type

gang li gangli at msn.com
Tue Apr 2 16:48:00 EST 2002

Although I always respect your brilliant ideal about Python language
design, I have to say no to PEP 285.

When I just started to use Python, I feel a little uncomfortable
missing TRUE/FALSE since I am mainly a C/C++ programmer.  However the
missing TRUE/FALSE turned into a great pleasure for me in just a few
days after I really speed up on Python.  I really like Python's way to
tell right/wrong, true/false, and full/empty
 Every object in Python
can have Boolean meanings (None/not None), not just Boolean type
object can. That is beauty of Python.  Like ancient Chinese tall.
"World born from nothing to have two parts, e.g. male-principle and
female-principle, that two parts produced the current world, so every
thing inheritances from one of the parts". The Boolean meaning is
coming with every object. We do not need Boolean type to get it. Laura
Creighton (lac at strakt.com) has a very good definition for it,
something/nothing.  Don't add Boolean to Python to make it look just
like another programming language