Nested scopes hitch

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 8 08:49:13 EDT 2002

[Graham Ashton]

> I remember being slightly surprised by the fact that self finds class
> variables.  Is there any particular reason why, considering that the
> you can reference them as ClassName.var anyway?

Hello, Graham.  I often found it useful, in a hierarchy of classes, being
able to preset a default value in all objects by using a class variable in
a base class, then overriding this default at __init__ time (or otherwise)
in only a few of the derived classes.  This relies on the fact that `self',
everywhere, finds class variables when not overridden.