Getting a Python library for cross-compiling with mingw32

Alexandre Courbot alexandrecourbot at linuxgames.com
Sat Apr 13 10:06:16 EDT 2002

Hello everybody,

I'm currently porting my Linux app (which heavily uses the Python
library) to Windows, but I don't own Windows myself. So I'm
cross-compiling the stuff from my Linux box using mingw32.

The problem is, every Windows binary comes bundled into a .exe installer
that I can't use. I've performed some searches, but was unable to find
something suitable for my case (a simple zip or tar.gz containing the
Python archive would do it, but even that I can't find)

I then attempted to cross-compile Python itself. It looks like it's not
intented for that :) After disabling configure tests that didn't like
cross compilers, I had to twiddle even more to get a binary. Finally, I
managed to get a binary and a library, that even worked under Wine!
Unfortunately, at init time, when the os.py module is imported and
looking for the os in sys.builtin_module_names, it can't find anything.
Looks like I lack the Windows specific module in my binary. The
interpreter does work after that, but I'd like to have things done
properly.

Please note that I largely prefer having a version >= 2.2. Anyone knows
of a place which provides suitable binaries, or any Python hacker could
help me properly compiling my binary? It looks like the source
distribution wouldn't need big changes to be cross-compileable, which
would be nice. I'd be glad to help making the source distribution
cross-compileable, provided I can solve this issue and you guys think
the feature would be usefull.

Thanks for any help,
Alex.
--