Host a Gtk widget inside a Tk frame

Phlip phlip_cpp at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 17:24:09 EDT 2002

Xists:

I have this friend who has written a large GUI using only Tkinter.

Then he discovered a must-have widget. But unfortunately this widget
binds to Gtk. (The Widget in question is VPython, but that's not
important right now.)

My friend thinks the best way would be to extract the X windows ID
from a Tk Frame, wrap this in some way that Gtk understands, and
present it to the Gtk control as its parent handle. The widget is
fairly stand-alone, so it expects only hosting behavior from its
parent. But my friend's customers expect a seamless interface.

How can I talk my friend out of this self-destructive behavior? (Or is
there actually a way to do that??)

--
  Phlip
   http://www.greencheese.org/EvolutionaryPsychology

"We may eventually come to realize that chastity is no more a virtue
than malnutrition."  -- Alexander Comfort