Pseudo-TTY (pty module) help!

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Apr 15 07:24:49 EDT 2002

"Noah" <noah at noah.org> writes:

> Does anyone have any experience or samples of use of the pty module?

Not really.  I've used os.openpty (or was it os.forkpty?) which are
what I think the pty module emulates when the above are not around (no
idea when this is, either).

Here's something that I got to work:

def su():
    import os, tty, time
    def p(d=0.2): time.sleep(d)
    pid, fd = os.forkpty()
    if pid == 0:
        os.execlp("su","su")
    else:
        p()
        print `os.read(fd, 1000)`
        p()
        os.write(fd, "XXXX\r")
        p(2)
        print `os.read(fd, 1000)`

I don't know if this helps!

The only other suggestions are to post some code and read Stevens'
APUE.

Cheers,
M.

--
  /* I'd just like to take this moment to point out that C has all
     the expressive power of two dixie cups and a string.