Java to Python translation

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Wed Apr 3 12:33:42 EST 2002

On 3 Apr 2002, Paul Rubin wrote:

> vio <vmilitaru at sympatico.ca> writes:
> > I need to translate a (rather voluminous 100MB) java program to
> > python. After a few searches on google, apparently the best tools
> > for this task are Lex-Yacc (Flex-Bison on linux). While I am working
> > on the Lex-YACC HOWTO, I would be very interested in hearing of
> > others' successful experiences/feedback at this. Any pointers of
> > interest would similarily be appreciated.
>
> That's crazy.  Don't even think about it.  If you want Python-Java
> integration, use Jython.

Actually, it might be really useful. There's a lot more Java programmers
out there (and a lot more money being spent on Java in general), so it
would be pretty cool to have a semi- or fully-automatic way to leverage
some of the work that is being done in Javaland.

Case in point: right now I'm using Jython for some Oracle database work
only so I can use the pure-Java Oracle JDBC driver (setting up Oracle on
Linux so I can use the Python DB API is a mess). There's nothing
Java-specific in the JDBC driver, but I really doubt Oracle is going to
release a Python one any time soon. A port from Java to Python would be
*very* straightforward - the only library support you'd need would be for
sockets and maybe locale stuff.

-Dave