RELEASED: Python 2.2.1

Terry Reedy tejarex at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 10:24:43 EDT 2002

"Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.org> wrote in message
> We've released a bugfix release of Python, 2.2.1!

Hooray!  Just as soon as I send off my income tax forms....

> This release should be fully compatible with Python 2.2.  Everyone
> using 2.2 is recommended to upgrade to 2.2.1.
>
> On the 2.2.1 pages
>     http://www.python.org/2.2.1/

> This being a bugfix release, there are no exciting new features --
we just
> fixed a lot of bugs.  For a moderately complete list, please see:
>
>     http://www.python.org/2.2.1/NEWS.txt

Ah, but you did introduce one (unexciting?) new feature that users
should know about:

- Added new builtin function bool() and new builtin constants True and
  False to ease backporting of code developed for Python 2.3.  In 2.2,
  bool() returns 1 or 0, True == 1, and False == 0.

This will also make it easier to write code that looks forward to 2.3+
as long as one does not test type(True), `True`, and str(True) (and
ditto for False).

Terry J. Reedy