Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Apr 5 13:24:35 EST 2002

[phil hunt, on language change]
> But is this changing going to be continual? Are the language
> developers constantly going to tinker with the language, out of a
> sense of fun? (Not that having fun is bad, it's just that I don't
> want to code against a continually moving target).
>
> Is there a final destination in sight, which these changes are
> leading to?

It's possible it's the same final destination that C, Fortran, Perl and Java
(for examples) are approaching with their own never-ending changes, but, if
so, I doubt we'll live long enough to celebrate arrival.  If you want a
change-free language, you're best off looking for a dead or dying language.
For example, Algol 60 hasn't changed in decades.  For that matter, Python
1.5.2 hasn't changed in years.  WRT any technology, you can jump off the
train any time you like.  Unless you pick your exit point very carefully,
though, you may end up alone in the middle of nowhere.

or-in-a-small-town-with-a-crate-full-of-8-track-tapes-ly y'rs  - tim