Python's Lisp heritage

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sat Apr 20 16:05:33 EDT 2002

Lumberjack wrote:
>Of course the
>"science" in "computer science" is pure bovine excrement. If you can't or
>wont measure it, it isn't science. "Computer religion" or "computer cults"
>would better capture the reality.

Is accounting science?  Measurement is part of its name, after all.

I'm reading a collection of essays by Tom DeMarco.  I just finished
one on measurements, like LOC and cyclomatic complexity, and how useless
they are as indicators of good or bad software development.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is science.  Numerology
may be more like it.

And there are measurements in CS.  One is big O notation, which predicts
the functional form for run-time.  And you forgot the obligatory quip
that fields with 'science' in the name, aren't.  :)

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com