Python's Lisp heritage

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Sun Apr 21 05:38:27 EDT 2002

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Well, after 40 years, we're still in the process of seeing features
> Lisp had years ago move into the mainstream.

Good point, excellent examples.

> C++ is
> newer than PL/1; is it _truly_ greatly superior, or is it just that
> it's well-marketed, while nobody's pushing PL/1?

I guess nobody is pushing it.  I understand IBM trademarked PL/1 thru PL/100 but we've yet to see
PL/2.

Then too, I thought PL/1 lacked classes/objects, which would give C++ a big edge.

> As a language, Java has little that _isn't_ in a lot of its
> predecessors.  It may be nicer than C in a lot of ways, but for it to
> have taken 30 years to do that seems rather wasteful.

It's a marketing gimick as much or more than a programming language.

Regards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer  503-280-0838 voice