PEP 287: reStructuredText Standard Docstring Format

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Wed Apr 3 17:34:20 EST 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:10, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote
>
> > Again, have you _read_ the ReST documentation, specifically the
> > discussion of  alternatives? It's extensive, and very well written.
>
> do you realize that the ReST documentation is much
> longer than the complete Ruby language reference?

I believe I was referring to a specific section of the documentation, which
is doesn't really compare to the Ruby language ref. Perhaps if you compared
it to a document comparing Ruby to other langauages, you might have an
argument.

> I'd rather learn a new programming language than yet
> another markup language.  especially when the latter
> sucks.

What's the value in this statement? Nowhere does it state that it is
mandatory that python programmers write their docstrings in ReST. Only that
there will be tools available for those that do.

And what the hell's with "especially when the latter sucks"? Really...

    Richard