Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 11:35:24 EDT 2002

On 19 Apr 2002, Martin v. [iso-8859-1] Löwis wrote:

> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I remembered: I forgot to uncomment all the places where the Tk stuff
> > lives.
> [...]
> > # *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk libraries are:
> > 	-L/usr/local/lib \
> [...]
> > ld.so.1: ./python: fatal: libtk8.3.so: open failed: No such file or directory
>
> That is an old Solaris problem: the dynamic loader searches on /lib
> and /usr/lib for shared libraries, no matter what directories where
> given with -L to the compiler. You have the following options (again
> all alternative):
>
> 1. Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running Python. This is most common, but
>    also ugliest, since it requires every Python user to set
>    LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I did this (in my .login so it doesn't happen again!) and it worked.

> I'd personally go with option 2, and build _tkinter.so, or go with
> option 5.

Nearly all is well now:
Only one test failed: test_largefile.
20 tests were skipped but that would be less if I could enable that
regrtest.py thing you told me about.  Whereabouts is the correct place
to add the options to enable those tests?  Is it configure --something
or do I fix the resulting Makefile...