Newbie: Running a script on WindowsXP

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 23 13:09:03 EDT 2002

"billludden" <billludden at email.msn.com> wrote in message
news:#dmZtdu6BHA.1188 at cpimsnntpa03...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to run a Python21 script
> from the "Run" box on WindowsXP Home edition.
> When I run it, the Command Prompt box just briefly
> flashes on the screen and closes itself.  I have tried
> using the -i option like you would use in Windows 98
> but it doesn't seem to work.  I also tried appending
> Autoexec with:
>     SET PATH=.........;C:\PROGRA~1\PYTHON21
>
> Does anyone understand what I'm doing wrong?
> (incidentally, I had the same problem with "hello world"
>  when I tried it in C)
>
> Thank you!
> Bill

Probably you aren't giving the interpreter the correct full path to the
program file. On my Win2K machine,

    python -i C:/Steve/Projects/Python/test9.py

gives the expected behavior, and I see (last few lines of) the output in a
terminated command window. But

    python -i nosuchprogram.py

just flashes up a command window long enough to display (I am presuming)

    python: can't open file 'nosuchprogram.py"

which, sadly, only takes a few tens of milliseconds. Arguably this is a bug
in the response to the -i flag.

regards
 Steve
--