[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 07:06:26 EST 2002

In article <a9xq8.53684$S52.1860202 at news2.tin.it>, Alex Martelli
<aleax at aleax.it> writes
>constraint on a variable -- that's part of why Python is
>so GREAT.  I hope Python stays pythonic... there are so
>many languages which appear to be mostly about imposing
>constraints ("expressing constraints in the code"), why can't
>we keep ONE language whose point is instead that of
>letting us be happily productive...?-)
>

>Alex

The great designer has several times expressed his desire to cripple
python's more dynamic features. Many recent changes have been in the
wrong direction eg the restriction on imports in functions etc.

I believe the fundamental choice here is more about style than substance
as it's clear this addition adds little and effects much. Of course
there are similarities to the 'only one way to do things' syndrome in
this proposal.

If we slavishly give people dictator status we get dictators. GvR
designed a reasonable language and it has improved up to now. I'm fairly
sure adding this will not improve things.

GvR asked for opinions and got them. The most articulate and compelling
are against. Well we got told that these are FUD etc etc. My gut feeling
is that this is wrong and that lambda, map, etc are good. Perhaps I
should eat sour grapes for breakfast.
--
Robin Becker