Does Python need a '>>>' operator?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 15 02:31:59 EDT 2002

"Ken Peek" <Ken.Peek at SpiritSongDesigns.comNOSPAM> writes:

> The other thing I was trying to say, is that if this _BUG_
> (gee- that wasn't so hard!) in Python is fixed, then we need
> a way to consistently do all of this bit shifting.

Please refer to PEP 237: Python 2.2 has completed phase A, in which
the behaviour that David observed is not a bug; this will change in
phase B.1.

> BUT, since we NOW don't know where the high bit is (but the class
> that is managing the long object DOES), we need a '>>>' operator to
> consistently handle a logical right shift-- (i.e.: there is no way
> to code this behavior in Python.)

That's what I'm trying to tell you all the time: the >>> operator is
meaningless if it is defined as "fill in zeroes". How does it know
where to start inserting zeroes?

Regards,
Martin