Does Python need a '>>>' operator?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 15 10:02:13 EDT 2002

"Ken Peek" <Ken.Peek at SpiritSongDesigns.comNOSPAM> writes:

> 2) Secondly, when we are printing integers in the hex format,
> we are not interested in the sign-- we are looking at the
> bit pattern.

Who is this "we" in this statement? When I print numbers in hex, I'm
interested in the hexadecimal representation if the number. For
*printing* it, I usually don't care what the internal representation
is.

> 3) With unification, the long and the int types should not
> print differently when calling the 'hex()' method.

And indeed, they won't.

> (The 'int' version of this method NEVER has, and shouldn't print a
> minus sign, and _I_ don't think the long version of 'hex()' should
> either.  This _is_ what needs to happen to have proper unification.

The PEP currently says differently:

# In most cases the long int semantics will prevail; however, the
# trailing 'L' from long int representations will be dropped.

This clearly says that the long int semantics will prevail.

> 4) We are not using 1.5.2 anymore.  We are on 2.2.x now.
> You need to imprint on your brain that there now should be
> _NO_ visible difference (to the programmer) between the long
> and the int type.  In fact, the int and long representations
> are now just an implementation detail, and should be hidden,
> and transparent to the programmer.

I completely agree.

> Martin, why do you resist the unification of these two
> types for _ALL_ operations and methods?

Why did you conclude that I resist? I'm just saying that the long
semantics will prevail, not the int semantics.

Regards,
Martin