Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 14:57:55 EST 2002

Recently on this newsgroup there's been a discussion about adding a
bool datatype to Python; and Guido has decided to do this.

Some time ago, there was a rather contentious discussion about
changing the semantics of the / operator. To be precise, what should
it do when the arguments are integers: should 1/2 be 0 or 0.5?

In both cases, there are good arguments in favour of the change.
(Though having said that, in both cases Python has done perfectly
well for years without it). The problem with making these changes is
that they can cause currently-working Python code to fail on new
versions of the language.

Another problem is that when a language is constantly changing, it
becomes necessary to constantly relearn it. Python has changed a lot
in the last few years, for example new operators such as +=, and
allowing users to subclass from builtin types, are big (and useful)
changes. Python 1.5.1 was an immature language that could benefit
from changing.

But is this changing going to be continual? Are the language
developers constantly going to tinker with the language, out of a
sense of fun? (Not that having fun is bad, it's just that I don't
want to code against a continually moving target).

Is there a final destination in sight, which these changes are
leading to?

(Note that I am not against changes to the standard library as
opposed to the language itself; nor do I have problems with changes
that do not break existing code).

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically