Selecting cipher suites with socket.ssl

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 6 05:40:51 EST 2002

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:

> But I don't like the assumption that the OP can do certificate generation
> better than Martin Sjögren did.

I didn't suggest that. Instead, I suggested that the OP changes the
Python SSL support - something that Martin Sjögren didn't.

Also, the OP was only asking for selecting cipher suites.

I was mainly objecting the assertion "It's broken." I don't think that
is true - it is mainly incomplete.

> So naturally, there is no big push here to get pyOpenSSL in the standard
> library.  But I don't think that the OP should waste his time hacking
> on the standard SSL module; pick something that other people want to see.

I don't think this effort would be wasted. He only needs a relatively
small feature; if he implements that, all Python 2.3 users would have
it readily available.

> Besides, whatever he comes up with may be rejected on the grounds
> that the code isn't good enough, or it adds the sort of complexity
> you don't want in the standard library.  Modifying an existing
> library shouldn't be by definition easier to do than adding a new
> one -- foul code is foul code

I disagree that the current SSL support is foul code.

Regards,
Martin