Third Draft: Pep for Deprecating Builtins

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Mon Apr 29 15:58:29 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:42:31PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 29-Apr-2002 Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> > From the comments, I've learned:
> >
> > 1. map, filter, divmod, and pow may be immovable and should
> >     be left alone.
> >
> > 2. reduce has fewer friends, but should probably also be
> >     left alone
> >

> thank you, thank you.  Gah, I could not imagine being forced to use list
> comprehensions everywhere.

This is unfair. The PEP didn't want to eliminate filter and friends (ff).
It just suggested to move it to a module which would be included
in the core python-distribution. You could then *always forever* do:

from funcs import filter, reduce, niftyotheroperator

and use the ff functions as before! And additionally the author
suggested that even *new* friends for filter should be introduced.
Neat!

I would  like to add that a user's perspective
is very important but should by no means the only
measure. The developers do a great job IMO and of course
want to advance. They just happen to be very fast :-)

regards,

    holger