file_ref = open(string_ref)

Terry Reedy tejarex at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 18:14:05 EDT 2002

"Greg Weeks" <weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com> wrote in message
news:1019579845.565223 at cswreg.cos.agilent.com...
>.  So, in my
> opinion, our view of data is wrong.  To align our view of data to
our code,
> we need to replace the view
>
> V1: Objects are regions of memory.
>
> with:
>
> V2: Objects are addresses (of regions of memory).

I consider both views to be very wrong.  In Python, an object is an
information unit with an identity, a type, and a value.  When Python
code is executed by a computer, objects are stored in one or more
blocks of linear memory.  When executed by a human, 'blocks of linear
memory' almost certain does not apply and 'region' of memory' may be
problematical.  In either case, neither a container nor its location
is the same as its contents, and it is a mistake to confuse the three.

Terry J. Reedy