A faster Python?

Nick Arnett narnett at mccmedia.com
Tue Apr 2 20:03:17 EST 2002

Generally speaking, the times I most often feel constrained by processing
speed have to do with analyzing large amounts of data.  I imagine that as
bandwidth increases and there are more and more automated methods of
generating data that can be analyzed, more and more people will feel the
same pain.  People do want to analyze more and more data -- log files,
e-mail and far more.  I'd very much welcome any kind of speed improvements
that would help in that area.

To be specific, I do a lot of time series, correlation, regression and
clustering analysis.  Those can really bog down.  While I'm fine with
exporting to Excel, SPSS, etc., for heavy-duty analysis, the more I can do
without leaving Python, the happier I am.  And I'm considering a distributed
version of some of the things I'm working on, which I'll only do with open
tools that won't cost users anything.

Nick