Tix Vs Pmw which is better to use?

Gustavo Cordova gcordova at hebmex.com
Tue Apr 30 10:50:32 EDT 2002

Hmmm...

Tix and Pmw attack different domains: Tix is native Tcl/Tk,
and Pmw is a Python attempt to create something akin to Tix
but in Python. The problem is that Python doesn't have access
to Tk internals, like Tix would.

So, if all the widgets you need are available from Tix, use
Tix. You could also write Pmw wrappers arround the widgets
you use (be them Tix or whatever); and then you could use
Pmw "exclusively".

I write "Exclusively" quoted, because although your app would
only be based on Pmw, internally it's also using Tix, and whatever
other widgets you need.

Personally, I really don't like Pmw all that much, because
Tk already has it's own megawidget protocol and packages,
so you're using a double layer over your application's GUI.

I simply write wrapper classes around the extension widgets
that I use, which work just like normal, ordinarly Tkinter
widgets (Tktable, Tkhtml, and looking for more :-)

Good luck!

-gustavo