Rule Engine in Python

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Thu Apr 4 21:35:27 EST 2002

"Robert Oschler" <Oschler at earthlink.net> writes:

> Harry George <hgg9140 at seanet.com> wrote in message
> news:m3it82d32l.fsf at wilma.localdomain...
> >
> > If you are willing to use prolog as the rules language, there are
> > python/prolog bindings (e.g., SWI prolog).  We use python and prolog
> > jointly in a C++ CADenvironment.
> >

> Harry,
>
> I'm a long term user of LPA Prolog, how does SWI Prolog compare and do you
> know what the cost would be if I used SWI Prolog on a single Linux box
> acting as a web server (that was consulting the Prolog Rule engine, accessed
> via Python scripts running under Zope).
>
> thx

For cost=money: In our mixed C++/prolog/python code, we are using ALS
prolog (commercial).  I don't know the current SWI license (I think it
went open source, but check).

For cost=cpu resources: We've never done profiling -- it was always
fast enough once we got it to work at all.  That is on SGI
workstations.  Getting it to work at all of course is the payoff for
python over prolog for many tasks.  A few lines of python doing
regualr expressions and some text manipulation takes the palce of a
page or so of prolog.  That was all with ALS -- I've used SWI for a
few simple examples, but never compared them for heavy processing.

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com