Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Apr 5 22:23:25 EST 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I like Python a lot but I think it falls a little bit short of truth
> in advertising, when it calls itself a stable, mature language.
> Mature to me means I can download someone's interesting new Python
> script and not have to install a new version of Python in order to run
> it.

No, that's "stagnant".

Mature is certainly a word that applies to Python.  The language
is over a decade old, very rich, well proven in very diverse
application areas, and on and on.

Stable is also a good adjective for it, since most of the older
code still runs unchanged, and Python from ten years ago is
still very recognizable to new coders today.

Evolving is another word we need to use, though, and that's what
leads some to feel uncomfortable or downright scared of the situation.

Embrace change!  The changes make Python that much more effective
and strong.

On the other hand, beware change!  At least for the sake of change.
I think those driving the changes need to be ever more cautious in
allowing changes to make it through, and have an ever-rising threshold
of added value before something is accepted.

-Peter