Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Fri Apr 5 11:48:57 EST 2002

philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) wrote:
> Another problem is that when a language is constantly changing, it
> becomes necessary to constantly relearn it. Python has changed a lot
> in the last few years, for example new operators such as +=, and
> allowing users to subclass from builtin types, are big (and useful)
> changes. Python 1.5.1 was an immature language that could benefit
> from changing.

Version 1.5.2 was sufficiently complete and long-lived enough that I
established it as the version I would develop against.

> Is there a final destination in sight, which these changes are
> leading to?

The answer to this isn't as interesting to me as _when_ will this tinkering
end? Something that isn't up for debate: because of the problems I have
actually encountered with making code work with the many extant versions of
Python, I will no longer be doing any new projects in the language and am
not recommending Python to anyone. The language tinkering is one of several
reasons I left Python and this newsgroup many months ago. (I have
resubscribed recently to find out if there was a way to rework an old
Tkinter app of mine that people have asked for some changes to, and will be
exiting here in a few days.)