ActivePython vs. Python

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Apr 19 09:40:57 EDT 2002

In article <ad496f8.0204182232.288e35e3 at posting.google.com>,
Ville Vainio <vvainio at tp.spt.fi> wrote:
>"Bob H" <bobx at linuxmail.org> wrote in message news:<WkGv8.38$Ud2.86702 at news2.news.adelphia.net>...
>> What is the benefit of getting/using ActivePython over Python?
>
>One drawback appears to be it's reliance on ActiveState (which has to
>consider such things as profit - and it also provides ActivePerl ;-).
>There was a long period when nothing happened with ActivePython, which
>no doubt alarmed many people.
>
>However, I do love the windows help format of the Python docs,
>ActivePython might be worth it just because of them!

I'll gratuitously frame this remark in a context I prefer:
yes, it's important to be aware that ActivePython is a pro-
prietary product delivered by a for-profit corporation.  In
some situations and for some people, that is a drawback;
for others, it is a positive asset.  One of the delights of
open source is that we can package up ideas in different
wrappers to meet the needs of different end-uses.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net