Newbie - web app deployment issues

Scrumpy reply at in_newsgroup.tks
Mon Apr 8 13:35:09 EDT 2002

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback to my earlier post "Newbie's 1st Web App
decisions!"

As a Python newbie who wants to try developing web apps, I want to avoid as
much as possible, the need to deploy to specialized hosting environments.
For example, out of the many hosting companys in the world, only a very
small percentage provide Zope hosting. I haven't confirmed this but there's
probably a premium to pay for Zope hosting (which may be warranted but it's
not something I want to pay for at this point in time).

Some web hosting companys are more accomodating than others i.e. after
evaluation, some may add customer requested/coded python modules, others
will refuse and others will not install Python at all.

At least in the near future, hosting my own internet site or having a whole
server rented/co-located at an ISP/hosting company is not an option so I
have to rely on what is provided by, or will be accepted by hosting
companys on their existing web servers.

***
My question for those who have faced a similar situation (hopefully that
means many of you ;-) ) is:

How did you get your Python based web app hosted i.e. what
modules/components/frameworks did you use to run your app, which were
allowed by a 'non-specialized' web host i.e. a host that probably runs
Apache and has Python and a few modules preinstalled?
***

I would be 'most' interested to hear from people using the project(s)
listed below but I would also appreciate feedback if you have a good
solution which doesn't include them.

The web app servers/frameworks that I am looking into in more detail are:

Slither http://slither.toolsofcomputing.com/
Webware for Python http://webware.sourceforge.net/
Skunkweb http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net/about.html

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,
Scrumpy :)

This has been a Python newbie production!