Need help with distutils

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Tue Apr 9 00:19:25 EDT 2002

Andy Todd <andy47 at halfcooked.com> wrote in
news:Xns91EB605BFDDADandy47halfcookedcom at 203.109.252.31:

> "A.M. Kuchling" <akuchlin at crystal.mems-exchange.org> wrote in
> news:slrnab3gei.1i0.akuchlin at crystal.mems-exchange.org:
>
>> In article <Xns91EA988AA8260andy47halfcookedcom at 203.109.252.31>,
>>    Andy Todd wrote:
>>> notice that the pattern you pass to global-exclude has to be a Unix-
>>> style "glob" pattern. In that notation '.' is a special character so
>>> using  '.cvsignore' doesn't actually match your files ;-)
>>
>> No, '.' is not special in glob notation.
>
> Which means that this is a bug? I can verify that ".cvsignore" doesn't
work
> and "*cvsignore" does.

Apologies, I spoke too soon. I had "*cvsignore" excluded for another reason
and thought it was because of glob. So I ended up combining two
misunderstandings and confused them for a bug. I have changed my
MANIFEST.in to read

global-exclude .cvsignore

I can verify that this does work. The problem the op had (I believe) was
that he tried

recursive-exclude . .cvsignore

Which by my reading of the documentation *should* do the same thing, but I
can confirm doesn't (at least on Windows2000 with distutils running under
Cygwin). I observed the same problem - namely a message stating;

warning: no previously-included files matching '.cvsignore' found under
directory '.'

Ah, the joys of distutils. I don't know if this is a feature or a bug, but
at least we can workaround it.

[snip]

Regards,
Andy