input() vs raw_input()

Jim Williams jimw1956 at cs.comnojunk
Tue Apr 16 02:21:15 EDT 2002

>input() must not be mentioned in any tutorials for new users. It belongs
>somewhere in the depths of the thickest reference manual. Where do new
>users *learn* about it?

I have a couple of books that do explain it...Python 2.1 Bible, and the Python
QuickStart guide to be exact.

Basically the input statement will accept ONLY a valid python expression as
input whereas the raw_input will accept whatever the user types in ( or at
least that's what I get from what I've read).  If you are wanting a statement
to get input from the user, then raw_input would be what you want to use.