A faster Python?, Python compiler, Dylan,...

Jan Kybic kybic at ieee.org
Thu Apr 4 12:26:57 EST 2002

> >criticism remains: You have to code your function twice, first in
> >Python for prototyping, then in C. But I agree that weave saves you a
> >lot of work.
>
> If this is the only criticism, than we're doing quite well. :-) The
> alternative to Python right now if you need speed is to write your
> entire program (or extension) in C/C++.  Of course, then the complaint

Well, not the entire program. If possible, I am gradually
reimplementing Python functions in C one by one, creating interface
with Swig to them. This way, I can always just plug in the old one and
the new one, to verify that the behaviour rests the same.

> becomes "Man, it sure does run fast, but I sure wish C had dynamic
> typing and didn't have all this memory management stuff." ;-) When I

Of course. :-)

> That said, I just saw another project similar to weave come across the
> line on python-dev called Pyrex.  very cool.  It allows C typing in

I have just had a look. Very cool indeed! Actually that's about what I had
in mind when I called for a Python compiler. Once it compiles a little
more of Python (notably classes),  ideally any valid Python code, it should
definitely become a tool of choice for people wanting to speed up
their Python code. An interface to Numeric should not be difficult.
Greg, please keep me posted about the new versions.

> a look at Pysco, Pyrex, and weave, choose the one you like, and pitch
> in!  We all know that a faster Python is desired.  It even looks very

Indeed. Another well worth project on the list.

J.

Jan Kybic <kybic at ieee.org>      Robotvis, INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, France
       or <Jan.Kybic at sophia.inria.fr>,tel. work +33 492 38 7589, fax 7845
                    http://www-sop.inria.fr/robotvis/personnel/Jan.Kybic/