IDLE for SUSE Linux?

Bernard Yue bernie at 3captus.com
Mon Apr 1 16:53:33 EST 2002

Robert Oschler wrote:

> I'm looking for a good of binaries, or a good URL concerning setting up IDLE
> under SUSE Linux 7.3 Pro.  Got URL?

SuSE Linux 7.3 Pro comes with Python 2.1.1, so IDLE comes with it.  IDLE
is located at /usr/share/doc/packages/python/Tools/idle/idle.py.

> Also, if anyone has any experience working with Python under KDeveloper
> (KDE) I'd love to hear about it.  As soon as I get Glimpse/GlimseIndex
> installed I'm going to give it a whirl.
>
> thx

As for GUI development I am using Tkinter but am in the process of
switching to Qt (Qt is the best GUI toolkit I've seen so far).  I am
impress with Qt Designer that comes with SuSE.  Since I needed only an
easy to use GUI designer.  I can then generate C++ implementation class
from it and use PyQt (comes with SuSE as well) to hook up with Python.

If you wanted a heayweight IDE, take a look at Black Adder
(http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/).

The only issue I have with Qt is the distibution of run-time libraries
to Windows.  In order to do so it cost you US$ 400.

Bernie

--
There are three schools of magic.  One:  State a tautology, then ring
the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy.  Two:  Record many