Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Tue Apr 30 22:34:10 EDT 2002

>I am also new to python.  I think python will be my replacement of perl.
>However, if I need to do very heavy regular expression, I still prefer perl.
>I just don't feel comfortable with the python's re syntax.

Well, the RE syntax itself should be (almost?) identical - I guess
you're refering to way the re module is used (that it's not part of
Python's syntax)?

I'd suggest you not let this discourage you - while I initially avoided
using RE's in Python, I quickly came to love the rest of the language,
and then found that not having RE's in the language's syntax was not the
problem I thought it was (you rapidly discover better ways of working -
superior, I would argue, to working in perl).

http://www.object-craft.com.au/