Python DNS Utilities

Phil Edwards phil.edwards at mistral.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 12:04:01 EDT 2002

Hi Everybody:

I'm looking at putting together some kind of generic abstraction layer for
handling DNS configuration files (adding entries to /etc/named.conf,
adding/removing RR's to/from zone files, etc, etc) using Python.

Has anybody done any similar work in this area who might be willing to
share ideas/code? I have some basic stuff working already (thanks to the
guy who was doing my job before me) but this needs some work to improve the
performance and extend the functionality in certain areas.

I've already looked (v. briefly!) at the pyDNS module, but this is
concerned mainly with implementing a DNS client using Python, and I'm
interested in the admin tasks involved in running a DNS server.

My particular issue at the moment is finding an efficient way to parse the
torturous syntax which is permitted in the 'named.conf' file. I'm currently
using the 'shlex' module to do this, but the code is a bit of a nightmare.

I'm even beginning to wonder if it might not be quicker to just put the
whole DNS system into a Postgres database and maintain it from
there...seems a shame to waste all the hard work my predecessor did though.

--

Regards

Phil Edwards
UNIX Systems Administrator
Mistral Internet                                  http://www.mistral.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1273 747432                           Fax   +44 (0)1273 747452

Running Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin) for i586 Kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk
System uptime : 34 days, 22:58,  3 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.07, 1.08