comparing str's with ints

Frank Tobin ftobin at neverending.org
Mon Apr 29 19:40:02 EDT 2002

John Roth, on 2002-04-29, wrote:

> If you really, truely have to do Perl type comparisons between integers
> and strings, you might consider deriving your own integer and string
> types, and providing a custom __cmp__() method.

Oh, I certainly didn't want to do weakly-typed Perl-style comparisions.

It was a type error on my part to be comparing a str to an int (I had
expecting to be comparing an int to an int).  Since no exception was
thrown, I expected that 'foo > 0' (foo was accidentally a string instead
of an int) was at least doing something sane, but obviously it wasn't (it
was doing the 'arbitrary but consistent' comparison).

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/