Linker error when doing MSVC debug builds

Markus Ewald Markus_Ewald at gmx.net
Tue Apr 23 11:39:04 EDT 2002

Thomas Heller wrote:

> "Markus Ewald" <Markus_Ewald at gmx.net> wrote in message news:3CC535A7.2070607 at gmx.net...
>>The windows setup program only contains python22.lib
>>However, if you do a debug build of your project (and _DEBUG is defined)
>>pyconfig.h tries to link python22_d.lib, resulting in a linker error.
>>

> So why don't you install the source distribution and compile it yourself?
> This way you have all the debug libraries. Occasionally stepping through
> Python's source may be very instructive or even help you better locate
> bugs in your extension.

Because that's what the SDK is for, imho.

The 'extension' in this case is a script server module which /embeds/
python as scripting language into a 3D engine, "The Nebula Device"
(www.radonlabs.de). Anyone interested in working with the CVS distro of
the engine is currently required to download and compile Python himself
in order to be able to debug the engine's code.

I don't mind compiling python myself, but neither do I see any reason to
prevent windows users from doing debug builds with the SDK.

Plus, making _Py_DeAlloc() public in release builds would not influence
any existing project at all. Debug/Debug, Release/Release would stay
as is, only would Debug/Release builds become possible.

> Thomas

-Markus-