KDE+GNOME Bindings in SuSE 7.3

Tom Chance tomchance at gmx.net
Mon Apr 29 08:11:49 EDT 2002

> I do PyKDE2 (the bindings for KDE), and I do them on SuSE7.1/7.3
> (depending on the version). Find your python directory (/usr/lib/python
> is normal for SuSE, although that should link to something like
> /usr/lib/python2.1). Next look for the site-packages subdirectory - if
> you have PyKDE2 installed, there should be a number of libk*cmodule.so
> entries there (somewhere between 9 and 11 different names), as well as
> some corresponding .py files.
>
> Next, at the command line, open the Python interpreter and do:
>
>  >>> import sys
>  >>> print sys.path
>
> You should see 'site-packages' included in the list that prints out.
> (Ctrl-D to exit)

OK I did that and found bizarrely that the "print sys.path" statement
printed out directories in the /usr/local tree, whilst I'd been working
with python in the /usr tree, so I had somewhere along the line got two
installs?! No problemo though, I symlinked
/usr/local/lib/python/site-packages to /usr/lib/python/site-packages and
it imported the gnome modules without a hitch :)

> etc. The module names correspond to the KDE library names.You also need
> to have sip and PyQt installed, but I assume you do, since PyKDE2 won't
> build and install without them. Make sure, however, that they all match
> in version (latest is sip3.1, PyQt3.1, PyKDE2-3.1 - the 3.1 is the *sip*
> version *not* the KDE version).

As for KDE, I didn't realise you needed to download those extra
packages! From a tutorial I'd read from the python site about oding
Python with KDE it made it seem like the KDEBindings package
automatically set-up all the python bindings, including modules, for
you. Oh well. I'm going to wait until either PyKDE2-3.1 comes out (it's
on 3.0 atm), or better still until the packages come out for KDE3.0 final.

Thanks for the help! :)

Tom