Want to read images from a WebCAM

F. GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Sun Apr 14 09:11:50 EDT 2002

Hi all,

does anybody know of an alternative to VideoCapture reading out a TerraTec
Pro USB WebCam on W2k?

My question probably should be "Is there an alternative to DirectX reading
out a WebCam", because VideoCapture likely is not to blame here.

I ask this, because the whole thing too often crashes with a Blue Screen Of
Death. I tried to do some investigations on this and installed the DirectX
8.1 SDK/Debug in a hope to see some diagnostic messages before the whole
machine crashes.

Indeed, there are some in case the machine does not crash:

"ASSERT Failed! Executable: python.exe Pid 614 Tid 4d4. Module qedit.dll, 3
objects left active! At line (...)\dllentry.cpp. Continue?".

There are quite a few of those messages.

Then I decided to try to debug vidcap.pyd. No success - I always end-up
somewhere in the OS kernel.

What's the next step? Installing the symbols of W2k?

I thought, before I go into *that*, I rather ask, whether I'm the only one
in such an unpleasant situation and if there are alternatives on W2k.

Any hint is appreciated.

Best reagrds
Franz GEIGER