Science And Math Was: Python's Lisp heritage

arthur.siegel at rsmi.com arthur.siegel at rsmi.com
Mon Apr 22 17:28:06 EDT 2002

>>>Ahh, OK. Then I agree completely -- Mathematics *is* larger than its
>>>would-be applications to the natural sciences. I think it was P. Erdos
>>>who remarked once that all natural science is conceivably finite - e.g.
>>>there would be a time when there would be nothing more to learn about
>>>the universe - but mathematics is literally infinite.
>
>>I'm not so sure about the latter assertion, and I'm *definitely* not
>>certain about the assertion that natural science is finite.

>The first assertion by Erdos is indeed problematic. The second is not.

My sense, intution is of mathemetics as infinite only in the sense of allowing
infinite homologous descriptions of/perspectives on  the One Thing.

The perspectives are invented.

The Thing is not.

The modern assumption that increased abstractness brings better perspective
perhaps reaches a point not only of diminishing, but negative returns.

But as the opinion of someone who finds the more abstract mathematical
realms beyond his reach, maybe this represents a Philosophy of Sour Grapes.

Art